+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Winning Marketing Idea

1. Join Date
    Dec 2009

A Winning Marketing Idea

Web-Est just recently conducted a contest asking participants to provide their most successful marketing strategy, with the winner receiving a free month to their collision estimating program. The aim of the contest was to provide as many new ideas as possible for auto body shops looking to bring in new business. The winning participant was G&G Automotive from Texas, sharing that they regularly purchase incident police reports, which are public information. The owner said it is a winning strategy for him, saying they average about the 30 leads per month. Visit the Web-Est Auto Body Marketing Blog to see the full post.

Web-Est provides a logic-based collision repair estimating program for $99 per month.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009

The Ohio Attorney General just recently filed suit for the SECOND time against a Columbus body shop for doing this and contacting people in violation of the do-not-call statutes. He did not learn his lesson from the first incident; as he was also charged with violating the terms of his first settlement agreement. I would hardly call this a "winning" strategy.

3. Join Date
    May 2009

Most attorneys send solicitations by mail to people involved in accidents. Don't really see a problem with a repair shop doing the same. Seems like a way to directly market your business to the people whom are in need of your services.

Wasn't the shop in Ohio also telling people things that they weren't following through with like rebates and performing substandard work as well? Seems like there would be nothing wrong with calling those involved in accident so long as their number was not on the do not call list.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009

That boy better call his attorney first thing in the morning for clairification. As I recall it is illegal to sell and use incident reports....for anyone. I know it was being done in Dallas and some folks that worked for the county went to jail and the attorney got his booty spanked.

Just to make sure.......

Roy

5. Join Date
    May 2009

Like with anything it would depend on the laws within that particular state. In NC accident reports are considered public records and can be accessed by anyone who would like to see them.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Yeah, but the 'winner' doesn't live and work in NC.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Yes, the jerk in Ohio had numerous other charges levied against him also; but he was calling and not mailing to those listed on accident reports. The problem was that quite a few were indeed on the do-not-call registries, and he had previously been found in violation of it. He did not learn his lesson and was back calling them again. He was also charged with offering discounts and rebates that were not given on the final bill (he tried to hold one car hostage for 9 months over such a payment disagreement), billing for parts not replaced, and substandard work. Hopefully this schmuck will be out of business once and for all.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009

In Florida we can use accident reports

FOR STATISTICAL AND RESEARCH PURPOSES ONLY. They are in the public domain however we can NOT use the information for business or profit.

I used to get the police accident reports and offer a free consultation.

But, I don't waste my time on that crap anymore.

I have better things to do.

The largest stumbling block was convincing the clerks that we were actually using them for pubilc service. Mostly the clerks were lazy and just didn't want to pull the reports. Once we got them trained the reports were always available and ready and waiting for us to pick up.

For those who know me, remember me or could care less... Since changing my buisness model things have been GREAT.

What is even more interesting is that I even have State Farm agents again refering people to my shop... I know... funny isn't it...

They are telling people we are the only ones who can fix it... Insurance agents are funny. HA, ha.

And, I don't even want the work. We have too much to do now working for customers who want to spend their money and want to pay us to repair their cars.

Insurance claim work is a distant memory for me.

+ Reply to Thread