Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Body Shop Profits

Threaded View

1. Join Date
    Mar 2009

Body Shop Profits

Greetings All-

Our company has launched our new web site and one tab that might be of interest is our page on "Shop Profit Training" Bob Wenfrey recently submitted an article.

We are collecting stories/ideas to help shops grow their profits, if you have a story/idea to share, please email it to profitcenter@web-est.com or simply post it here.

Just wanted to share.

Best Regards all,

Eric
    Web-Est
    Last edited by admin; 05-06-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: link repair

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009

My recommendation: an attitude adjustment on how to run a business

Quote: If you do not try or have given up you are not understanding the system. Ask for more than what you need and you will get at least what you need to repair the vehicle. Most companies I deal with have a job to do and that is control costs. My job is to make a profit.
    Roy Smalley,
    Texas

3. Who said that???? Are you kidding?????

Ask??????

Better yet fraudulantly present your repair invoice to a consumer???

What has happened to this industry?????????????????

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Mark, people just "don't get it". Amazin' ain't it!
    Roy Smalley,
    Texas

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009

Here's one for you.

Here Eric, add this to your profit idea page. Attitude = profit.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Wish List

The above mentioned article focuses on aftermarket everything and squeezing your suppliers out of their profit,,,,essentially passing the screwing you are taking from the insurance companies along to them. Your vendors aren't guilty of anything other than trying to squeeze out a living in a very competitive and depressed market just like you are and the pennies you manage to squeeze out of them amount to very little when it comes to your bottom line.
    The blowing about charging for all the operations we all get screwed out of and getting paid for them amounts to wishful thinking and no one that runs a bodyshop believes it for a minute. I'm sure some states have laws that give the shop owners a better footing on which to stand but most still do not, including my own. It continues to piss me off to pay my money to go to a seminar only to have the speaker scratch the scab off the sore by telling me once again what I should be getting paid for but am not. At the last seminar I attended, the speaker started down that road and I stood up and offered him $1,000 if he could tell the audience HOW to get paid instead of reminding them again about what they were systematically getting screwed out of..... he couldn't do it.
    I will agree that getting paid for what you do is the logical approach to a healthier bottom line and shops in different states will get different results. Buying all the aftermarket or generic garbage in sight only serves to legitimize something insurance companies have tried to shove down our throats while compromising the integrity of our repairs.
    As long as the idiot down the street is willing to work for nothing, the insurance adjuster will take full advantage of the collective desperation that pervades our industry and laugh to himself while you are arguing your case. The only profitable approach I have found is to reject the unprofitable work when I realize I cannot successfully negotiate a fair price, be very generous to myself when charging for storage and admin fees for the time wasted arguing, and let the poor dummy down the street have it. When he succeeds in putting himself out of business and the insurance adjuster isn't so smug or confident that someone else will do it according to his terms, my power to get what I want returns and I'm willing to wait for that day. It won't be long.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by John Shortell View Post
    Here Eric, add this to your profit idea page. Attitude = profit.
    Thanks! Can you shoot me an email granting us permission to post it?

Eric

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Bill, If you are reffering to my article

You Pay my flight and motel and I will show you how to run your shop, collect for your repair orders and negotiate pricing for one week for that $1,000.

Put up or shut up but I dig in it every day.

Two Paint ex invoices and it covers your money. I suggest you get a tape recorder cause I am not writing it down fo you.

B
    "If Discussions with one's enemies could be worthwhile banks would invite robbers and burglers to their association meetings to discuss security"
    Jim Lynas

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Quote Originally Posted by eseidel View Post
    Greetings All-

Our company has launched our new web site and one tab that might be of interest is our page on "Shop Profit Training" Bob Wenfrey recently submitted an article.

We are collecting stories/ideas to help shops grow their profits, if you have a story/idea to share, please email it to profitcenter@web-est.com or simply post it here.

Just wanted to share.

Best Regards all,

Eric
    Web-Est

Thanks for sharing. Never thought about committing fraud to get what I need to repair a car.

Geez.....why didn't I think of that? OH it's illegal.

WebEst must not screen what they put on their website. What would that tell me about their product?
    Truman

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Clarification

If done do you collect for any and all items listed:

Quick list:

Disposal of damaged parts $5.00
    Clean for delivery $20.00
    Mask jambs .6 per opening (in the p-pages)
    Sand and buff to match factory texture 60% of refinish time
    Razor blades
    Rubber gloves
    Paint mixing cups
    Buffing compound
    Polishing compound
    Polishing pads
    Self etching primer
    Two part epoxies
    Block and re prime 20% of body labor at refinish labor rate
    Body filler
    Polyester putty
    Buffing pads
    Sand paper
    Mark up on ALL sublets including alignments and glass work
    Admin time to schedule alignments, provide rental updates, etc.
    Damage analysis $150.00
    Disassemble to prepare damage analysis (not tear down)
    Access time
    Test fit panels
    Remove adhesive
    Check fluids
    Oil. trans fluid, PS Fluid, Brake fluid
    Nuts, Bolts, Clips, Wire ties, Electrical tape, Solder, Butt connectors etc.
    Remove wheel or wheels
    Set up on truck Tie downs 4.0 hrs at Frame rate
    Road test
    Check for wind noise
    Check for water leak
    Fax Fee $5.00
    Copy parts documents $40.00

This is a short list and I am told that this is included in overhead and we don't pay for that but I try to collect it on every car.

HOW MANY OPERATIONS DO YOU PERFORM THAT YOU DO NOT GET PAID FOR?

I AM TRYING TO GET YOU ALL TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX YOU ARE ALL SHOVED INTO!

Taken out of context it may not sound as I intended. but we are performing tasks for the customer for free everyday. I say put them on the repair order.

Illegal????? I think not. Immoral??? Unlikely.

Depends on how many DRP contracts you have.

Most of us have been beat down for so long we just think we can't charge for washing the car ($20.00) plus materials, disposing of damaged parts ($5.00) etc.

Put what you provide for free on the bill and try and collect for it!!! Think outside the box.

Fraud????? I don't think so.

I bill for what I do period!

YOU HAVE BEEN BEAT DOWN SO LONG YOU THINK IT IS FRAUD TO CHARGE FOR WHAT YOU DO!!

B
    Last edited by mastertech; 05-08-2009 at 11:29 AM.
    "If Discussions with one's enemies could be worthwhile banks would invite robbers and burglers to their association meetings to discuss security"
    Jim Lynas

+ Reply to Thread