+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Avery V State Farm

1. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Avery V State Farm

http://www.repairerdrivennews.com/20...court-rulings/

This case was originally filed in 1997 for all those into history and it was about SF demanding the use of Aftermarket parts.

Of course preparation for the case precede that date by what, two years?

It evolved into a case about court misconduct.

So almost a quarter of a century.

Pierson, how old were you when you worked with the attorneys? I was deposed in 97.......
    Roy Smalley,
    Texas

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Can't remember...

and don't care to do the math! Sounds about right though, the late 90's were a bit "hectic" for some of us. I gave five depositions at that time, three of them were for the Avery case. One of the stories, spent an entire night watching videos of State Farms "expert" shop installing aftermarket body parts. They actually filmed the painter taking a razor and thinner, removing all the CAPA stickers on hoods and fenders. I don't know how much they spent on the crew that produced those videos, but those few seconds of sticker destruction destroyed their value to SF. Another SF "expert" witness/shop owner was billing them hundreds of dollars per hour until a quick Internet search revealed he was a felon and had numerous suits filed against him.

I think the moral of the story is, regardless who you go up against, it's quite possible they are ignorant to what they claim to know.
    Collision repair... so easy even a monkey can do it... and some do!

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Roy,

That article by RDN is quite interesting and complex. Could you give a layman's view in it so that I may understand all the details?

I get the jest of it but the legal terms are a bit above my head as to where it goes from here.

Thanks.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Roger, your guess is as good as mine.
    Roy Smalley,
    Texas

+ Reply to Thread