+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another Hallelujah moment

Threaded View

1. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Another Hallelujah moment

On December 31 I said, 'self stop talking or even thinking about collision'. Ann my wife, has heard that story before and her comment was 'yeah, right'...... Then Mark Rizzi sent me this link this morning that blew my resolution out of the water.

http://www.repairerdrivennews.com/20...ody-shop-does/

Who actually understands what this article, with out qualification by RDN either meritorious or ridiculous, really says?

(besides Tony)
    Roy Smalley,
    Texas

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009

It tells me that insurance companies don't think it is necessary to follow OEM procedure unless they are confronted by a shop that might be inclined to alert the customer that the insurer has failed to fully indemnify them or be concerned with maintaining passenger safety, that even if the insurer KNOWS what they are legally obligated to do, they will not, either through their own ignorance, greed, or both. We all also know that they really want for the shop to do their job at the shop's expense and getting paid after providing all the documentation to support the obvious, involves a "Mother May I" approach. As always, right and wrong matter not. What can they get away with and not be liable? Just let shops that go to the time and trouble to jump through the hoops to justify their charges try to charge for the time they have expended. Insurance companies need to make up their minds who is directing the repair, them or the shop. The customer is the only one that deserves any justification for all necessary charges. Let them play the "Mother May I" game with the insurance company and see how that works.
    Last edited by Bill; 01-05-2018 at 11:37 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Bill you said "Insurance companies need to make up their minds who is directing the repair, them or the shop."

The person that needs to decide is the collision repairer, but they don't realize that is their duty and liability as borne out by the 'glued roof' situation. I bet the dealership principal was so far removed from collision repair, he had no idea what could come down the pike. However, even with that case, repairers are looking for the easy way out and even more susceptible to "partner" propaganda......like the above link.

As mentioned many times before, insurers determine what they will pay before the accident even occurs and are able to achieve their objective thru the controls afforded by the IP, and the fear insurers will redirect work to the more compliant. And the repairers just keep on doing the same thing for the insurer.
    Roy Smalley,
    Texas

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009

The point in my observation is that they like to be able to step on both sides of the fence by being determined to surreptitiously direct the repair but still manage to dump any and all liability on the shop. Obviously, I agree 100% that the shop is liable for any lack in repair integrity, therefore reserves the right to direct any and all aspects of the repair process. Unfortunately, too many dumba$$es in the business accept the premise of being subservient to insurers and will continue to maintain the status quo. That is, until a few more suffer the same fate as the Texas dealer shop did.

I find the statements from the "anonymous" adjuster to be laughable. He must be either so new in his job that he has never been instructed in the standard responses when a shop confronts him with any documentation supporting the validity and necessity of various procedures or a liar. Repeat after me, "We don't pay for that", "It's included", "It's not usual and customary", and my all time favorite, "You're the only one". Only when the shop gets smart enough to prepare their own repair blueprint and present it to the customer, along with any necessary supporting documentation to validate the necessity of the charges, will anything change. Let the insurance adjuster try to use all the BS they have used on repair shops on an informed consumer. Being the "only one" will take on a whole new meaning; the "only one" who is willing to do do what is in the customer's best interest as well as his own. With all the information the customer needs in hand, how do you think "We don't pay for that" would be received? Shops have to stick to properly repairing cars, charge THE CUSTOMER accordingly and let the vehicle owner figure out who will reimburse them. If they don't, they might need to figure out what their next career move will be.
    Last edited by Bill; 01-05-2018 at 04:07 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Maybe along with the 200 line "declaration of repairs" it needs one more line.

"Educate the appraiser on how to repair a car........ $300.00"

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Great idea!!!

+ Reply to Thread