+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Let's See a Show of Hands

1. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Let's See a Show of Hands

How many are actually visiting this site and reading what is posted here? Correct me if I am wrong, but I count three regulars and one "occasional" that post. Are we reaching only each other?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Tony, that's a good question for you. I am optimistic that we are making a difference.

3. We continue to have many, many more viewers than posters. That's for sure. We have made a difference for some, but the majority of shops haven't got a clue as to why they are in the sh....t they are in. I am convinced that all these people want to do is steal as much as they can now, and worry about the future later.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009

How many of the viewers are employed by our insurance friends, interested in knowing what the "resistance" is up to, or is there any way to determine that?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Sure there is a way to accumulate the ISP but from past efforts many are masked Bill. Clearly both sides of the issues are here frequently.

There is no doubt in my mind that within the DEG string lies both the answer for repairers as well as the defense for insurers. That accounts for the rapid increase in the DEG viewership, particularly the past two years or so.

This industry is peculiar. Certainly we know the insurer agenda; it never changes, just mutates and moves forward bound only by their abilities that are coordinated and continual. The collision side's agenda is never the same except repetitious decade after decade, following the same paths that have failed over and over. The collision side is fractured by competing ideas,and interests ranging from perhaps well meaning attempts by individuals that are in fact, 'selling' themselves and their ideas for some other purpose than attacking the fundamental control method used by insurers. There are others whose only agenda is to some way profit directly at the expense of the collision side. Attorneys employed by repairers are more difficult to read but they too have personal interests that form their agenda that may or may not be in the best interests of the collision side of the industry. How many plaintiffs have succeeded along the way? One or two or three may have individually profited but the collision side not at all . Think Avery. I was a bit involved with that, having met the attorneys here in Dallas at one of the earliest 'summits' by CCRE. Met with a couple as did several others, including Pearson who spent a lot of time to no avail. It is how many years and the whole suit has changed? As far as the collision side winning would have made absolutely no difference.

The facts of why the collision side is doomed are really simple. No structured approach to a solution. An inability to recognize the single act that the insurer controls that insures that control. To me nothing is crazier than using that control to base a complaint. Settlements for money, not structural change. You have spent your life in this industry; me just a short time, but if I had to bet it would be bet on the insurer prevailing.
    Last edited by Roy Smalley; 12-21-2017 at 01:29 PM.
    Roy Smalley,
    Texas

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009

http://www.repairerdrivennews.com/20...ct-new-survey/

This is how repairers lose every day.
    Roy Smalley,
    Texas

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009

The disparity between shops in terms of ability and qualification to properly address collision repair has existed as long as I can remember. It goes without saying that a shop that has little invested in appropriate and necessary equipment and training can work at a lower rate than one that is properly equipped. The myth has long stood that all repairs are equal, ignoring repair integrity and deferring to cost, which has been the consideration on which industry standards have been predicated. Many competent and well equipped shops have helped to perpetuate this myth by electing to shortcut repairs in order to earn a return on their investments and remain competitive against the lesser shops; they have been willing to produce substandard work as a prerequisite to remaining competitive. Instead of demanding to be recognized as being superior to lesser shops and, they very unwisely continue to participate in the surveys, validating the premise that lowest cost rules and is the benchmark in industry competition, instead of repair integrity.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009

[QUOTE=Roy Smalley;9032]http://www.repairerdrivennews.com/20...ct-new-survey/

"Don’t forget as well that California effective early this year tightened its labor rate survey rules to define a market as the nearest six surveyed shops. Survey rates must be provided by the shops themselves; an insurer can’t base the results on past estimates or estimating software. No DRP rates count — only door rates."

I guess this is why appraisers always take a pic of my posted rates and pay them!

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Roger, perhaps. Who knows what the intent may be.

That is not the point. The point is, competition is not setting the price;door rates, fundamentally another term for 'non competitive pricing'. If 'door rates' were without influence from other parties not in the contract of repair, then the rates would be over $100 per hour as are mechanical rates. That is the only accounting for mechanical rates being roughly twice collision rates. Interference. Period.
    Roy Smalley,
    Texas

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Roy, I agree with your theory why rates are so low but, If a shop posted the rate he wants, and has customers that pay that price, I don't think any judge would demand the shop to charge less because other shops don't charge the same.

My rate covers everything that I do, Mech. or body work, refinishing machinery or painting patio furniture.
    All my customers pay the same rate What grounds does a company have to tell me that I can not charge them a rate that they feel is noncompetitive?

You will not see a Ferrari or a Mercedes dealer charging "the insurance mandated rate" to their customers, do you think that they would charge less if it is a Ford owned by one of their customers who also owns a Rolls Royce?

I stand by my statement that you will never get a fair rate if you don't charge for it!

+ Reply to Thread