+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: State Farm and peeled roof

1. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Roy, Was State Farm a party of the suit and if so what was the finding?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009

They were but just a few weeks ago they were removed...some legal deal. It is covered in the industry rags. The plaintiffs were awared $35 mil or so but appeal is certain I should think. To remove the insurer was a no brainer really......the insurer didn't repair the car. Certainly they affected the process but once you perform the service, it is yours. That side of the coin....why they are not paid is another deal altogether and a very treacherous slope. Most have no idea how to proceed in today's environment. Any future cases taking on any insurer, particularly SF, even assuming the plaintiffs built a strong well documented case, is going to be a long up hill battle I think...I can't imagine the court's attitude changing.......

It would be interesting if the repairer,Eagle (or their insurer), turned around and sued SF for their losses......or if the plaintiff decided the same thing. Don't think they are not considering just that....... Glad I am no longer in that mess.
    Roy Smalley,
    Texas

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009

I can understand why SF was removed, as just because they offered to pay for glueing the roof on, they are not the party that has the authority to order the work.

The real people that are being intimidated are the owners of the damaged cars, and in return, the body shops that feel that the customer will not come back because they are to frightened that they may be canceled by their good friends.

I never repair a vehicle in a manner that I do not feel is in the owners best interest . Most appraisers tell me that their job is to write an estimate according to their "bosses" guidelines. They also state that if I have any problems with the est. to give them a call.

In the very rare occasion that an appraiser refuses to agree with me, I state that this is the way that I am going to repair it at the customer's request, and it is up to them to explain to the customer why the ins. co. refuses to pay the invoice.

And to all body shop owners I will say, why are you so afraid that your customer won't come back?
    How many repeat accident customers do you really have. And do you want them for a customer if you can't make money repairing their cars?
    Last edited by Roger Walling; 10-09-2017 at 09:48 AM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009

I want to see someone ask a Satan Farm representative at SEMA, in a forum where they cannot dodge answering the question, "Does State Farm recognize that repairing a vehicle according to OEM repair procedure is the only acceptable way to restore a vehicle to pre-accident condition and will State Farm commit to reimbursing shops accordingly?"If they answer with the usual answer, "We will consider this on a case by case basis", ask , "Under what circumstances would deviation be acceptable?"

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Bill...

I nominate:

Tony Lombardozzi
    Aaron Schulenburg
    John Mosley
    Steve Behrend

I remember a CIC meeting, admitedly a long time ago, when USAA was asked a very similar question. By me. No answer and you would have thought by the general reception, I had a bad case of idiocy.
    Roy Smalley,
    Texas

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009

I second that nomination. Someone needs to pin down several insurance companies publicly and expose them.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Many years ago an insurance company sent a letter to all Ma. body shops detailing just how they would be dealing with body shops and the practices that they would accept.

I wrote back to the claims manager and told them that I will not accept their policy and I would continue with running my shop in the manner that I wished.

Many years later, an appraiser came into my shop and he was the same manager that I had sent the letter to. He said that he remembered my letter and that I was the only one to send a letter refusing to abide by their policy, and that if every shop had written that type of letter to them, they would have never be able to go ahead with the policy.

He actually agreed with my philosophy and congratulated me for standing up to them.

The same body shops that ate shit that day are the ones that are crying now.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009

They are crying because they are still eating shit. It has to leave a bad taste in your mouth.

+ Reply to Thread