+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More training & equipment

1. Join Date
    Jan 2009

More training & equipment

Needing to vent a bit. Am I the "only one" who is sick and tired of hearing and reading countless articles and proclamations coming from those outside our industry dictating how shops MUST continue their training and spent countless $$$ on new, sophisticated equipment right now or face extinction?

Normally I would agree. But I'm afraid I know too much. The truth is, some of these well equipped/trained shops are butchers and criminals. We have seen it with our own eyes. Recently a well trained and well equipped dealer body shop had to buy a woman a brand new Town & Country after hers was repaired, delivered then inspected. She received talking points from us prior to her repairs so she even interviewed them prior and asked all the pertinent questions. They lied! So with all the fraud and corruption within our industry while insurers have continued to look the other way, why would anyone be entering this industry? And common sense tells us the reason we cannot attract new talent into our field. If we cannot pay them what they're worth, or promise them endless benefits, no one will be interested.

So while the main focus always seems to be on the shop's shoulders with further required training and equipment, they are letting an entire industry down by not mentioning the true elephant in the room. I for one am sick of it. I noticed a lot of this crap gets posted on the Illinois Collision Repairers FB page. It gets old.

Thanks all for allowing me to vent. Otherwise have a Happy, Healthy & Blessed 2016 everyone!!
    "Better to die a hero, than live a coward."
    Charles Woods, father of slain SEAL Ty Woods

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009

I took the bull by the horns and retired last week, Pam. Costs steadily go up, reimbursements steadily go down, and I jumped off the merry-go-round while I could still jump.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009

To continue

with Pam's train of thought... the average age of a collision shop owner in this country is beyond consideration of major investments in equipment. Add to the mix substandard reimbursements and escalating costs, it is going to be real interesting on who and how the vehicles are repaired.

The re-inspection business is looking better and better to me!
    BTW... Congrats once again Bill
    Collision repair... so easy even a monkey can do it... and some do!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009

I agree with you, Mark. Handling D.V. claims and conducting post repair inspections is getting traction here in Mississippi. With good shops being squeezed out of business or opting out because of the average owner's age and cost of impending investments. Exposing insurance companies and the shops that collude with them to butcher vehicles is where the low hanging fruit will be. Easy money and work you can be proud to do.

5. One of the problems I see is we have blockers on.. we want so much to believe that the industry we all chose was in fact what we thought it was.... but it isnt...

6. Our competition is't the shop down the street. It is in fact the insurance industry. We compete with them for customers, to retain customers and for pricing. DRP shops are merely tools they use to be more competitive.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Insurers and DRPs

There is some fun to be had with these two. This week during the initial interview with a few potential customers I decided to snag a few of the repairs and steer the rest to the DRP. The obvious problem repairs with the customer complaining about prior damage, leaking fluids and mystery clunks resulting from the accident are sent down to the DRP. The late model, informed owners are signed in and processed. Like has been said in the past, we can't save everyone so save yourself!
    When some company wants to change my estimate, I tell them there are over four million damaged vehicles I won't repair this year, I'm not going to lose sleep over one more.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Excellent strategy, Raul. I agree with you too, Mike. The hilarious thing is that when Allsnake decided they wanted into the collision repair industry so they could rake in mountains of cash, they went to all the trouble to lie about their relationship with Sterling and quickly found out that their little venture into the collision repair industry went belly up because Sterling couldn't survive on what Allsnake wanted to pay themselves.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009

I am afraid we all know that entry into the repair industry is closed. No matter how qualified, no matter how equipped...which has little to with integrity, unless you come with a steady stream of business from momma insurance referrals. Complete with apron strings.
    Roy Smalley,
    Texas

+ Reply to Thread