+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Proconsumer shops still winning!

1. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Proconsumer shops still winning!

just finished a 05 Kia Spectra 5, adjust came out and took notes said ' i'd hear from the insurer (expl) friday, come monday i called and found that the adjust Totaled it for 5300.00, Now there was no frame damage, a few salvage yards had the parts, front bumper assembly,headlite, fender, plastic core support, hood repair, tire and lower control arm.... a simple repair job right?

First off they wouldn't even let me see the estimate, as my estimate was 35 and change without teardown, used and oem parts, but after the adjuster had me tear it down, we found some other damage, i adjusted my estimate, and still couldn't get to their 5300, which put it about 200 from totaling, yet they weren't telling me how they got there, other then I'm assuming all OEM parts were wrote..

After long discussions and the fact my customer was like my second mother and relayed the message that i was the person she relied on whether here car was fixable or not, they were ONLY her Insurer, Not a collision shop as she/we Put it, Did they finally start to work with us! i had to do a contract repair using My estimate, which as i told them, their estimate was not needed as i only Need mine for legal puposes.... parts were ordered and the Job was finished, before i got the Check! All parties were satisfied and the shop turned a very nice profit, even the tech was satisfied with his pay! I even got a free tow with the left over parts from the front clip...

Mark

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009

Contract Repairs

Please, tell me you didn't sign that insurance contract. The last contract I read said something like this in the last paragraph.

"Repairer agrees to restore vehicle to preloss condition and repair all damage know and unknown to the customers complete satisfaction.

I don't do contract repairs. The contract seems to me to shift their liability to make the customer whole to you. Since you know her well you will be alright it seems.

I am not a lawyer and some people on this board understand this issue more than me. Maybe you will get some good feed back and we can learn something.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009

I guess I haven't figured out

the pro consumer end of this yet. You also stated they had an estimate of $5300 before you tore it down and afterwards additional damage was found. You're estimate amount obviously increased and I would assume theirs did too. What exactly did you do to convince them not to total this vehicle?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009

I've found that

when I have my customer allow the insurer to write the estimate they usually write higher than I would have anyway. I try to avoid writing major damage when the insurer is getting involved. I think its a waste of time on my end when the insurer writes what they want anyway.I have the insured collect the check and i deal directly with them. If I find damage they did not write we call the insurer back.
    I'm not saying this is the best way to handle all jobs, I dont get many hard hits so this may be why my system works ok for me.
    In my area when I do deal with adjusters most of them will write a good estimate straight off to keep everyone moving ahead. They want the jobs done and gone.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009

money in the bank

Sounds like the poster managed the consumer's expectations with his repair plan along with the consumer's authorization. Who cares what the insurer estimate of record was! The insurer's estimate was a guess and may have been a ploy to move the vehicle only to discover later that it could later be repairable at one of their preferred shops for less than 3500.00. I read the post as the shop contracted with the vehicle owner and got their authorization for the repair of the vehicle. The insurer had their opportunity to investigate the loss and inspect the damage as the insurance policy permits. Just because some new policy language implies that the insurance appraiser/ adjuster is the expert at determining the value of the loss, it does't make them the repair expert who produces the repair invoice of record.
    Last edited by Mike Orton; 03-01-2009 at 10:38 PM.
    If you can't find the time to do it right, how will you ever find the time to do it over?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Money in the bank

Hi Mike,
    I didn't read it that way. I just assumed there was an estimate of 5300 and since it was assumed a T/L they didn't feel the need to mess with it. More damage was found after a teardown. Sounds like a lazy appraiser that is now eating crow...or your scenario!

+ Reply to Thread