+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Greg Coccaro

1. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Greg Coccaro

I posted the other day on Facebook and by email a request to my friends customers and Association members to keep good thoughts and prayers about Greg Coccaro my repairer friend in NY. Greg is defending himself against an appeal by Progressive Insurance against him.

They say he committed fraud *against them!* even though the vehicle owner authorized the repair of the vehicle - Greg's way as documented by Greg's company's final invoice - as required... by law in 50 of 50 states of which I am aware.

This is a suit designed to bleed Greg dry by forcing him to defend himself and pay the legal fees to make that happen. I spoke with Greg Coccaro's legal team last night. Greg spent the day on the stand and felt really good about it. Sounded in excellent spirits as well. Still please keep those good thoughts and prayers up - as Greg continues his defensive battle in such a frivolous lawsuit against him.

This could happen to any of us (especially any of "us")

All we want is justice, to perform proper repairs on our customers vehicles, and to be paid fairly for that service. Amen.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Independence: Be bold and mighty powers will come to your aid.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009

It is hard to believe how out of kilter things are Wade. Greg's situation as you described, is truly beyond belief. But I know from long experience, nothing is simple when an insurer gets involved. I don't know much about Greg's case and certainly not the minutia. If fraud action and intent is what the insurer alleges is the insurer in a legal position to sue directly since they have no standing since absent contract with Greg? If it is a fraud involving value of an item wouldn't that be an item for the local district attorney? Insurers cannot pursue criminal matters in the court. They lack authority.

In any case, to me this shows the methods of misdirection for insurers to insert themselves more directly into the repair contract process.

By the way, are his attorneys working on an hourly basis or contingent fee basis? Is the Judge sitting the tempo?
    Roy Smalley,
    Texas

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009

I have been engaged in heated conversation with more than one adjuster over this "fraud" subject. The job they have assigned to themselves is to document damage and establish a resaonable figure to accomplish repairs....period. The shop is under absolutely no obligation, legally or ethically, to follow their estimate to the letter and how the money is applied is a matter that is left between the repair shop and the vehicle owner. As long as the shop does not write a fraudlent estimate and vehicle owner gets a deadly ACCURATE accounting of how the insurance money was spent, no fraud has been committed.
    If insurance companies want to open this door, a hell of a lot of vehicles will be repaired strictly according to the insurance estimate, with needed repairs left undone and unnecessary repairs completed. The beauty is NO MORE SUPPLEMENTS, just a lot of assed up vehicles because we are forced to act like insurance adjusters know what the hell they are doing.

5. I've been praying and meditating for several years for Greg (and his lawyers)... no reason to stop now... 'til the wheels fall off.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Roy - the thing to remember here is: there is nothing to "win" except vindication. This suit was brought by Progressive *against* Coccaro for fraud. So he is on the defense. If he wins he gets nothing. In order to recover anything he needs to prove he's not guilty and *then* he needs to file a countersuit based on the frivilous nature of the suit against him and their lack of "standing".

So short answer is. He's paying for all of it so far.

This will be a landmark case. One we cannot afford to lose - if ever there was a reason to commit a few hundred bucks to (if you have it) it is this case.

North State Custom
    114 Green Lane
    Bedford Hills, NY 10507

When Greg came to IL to speak in front of AASPI he said - when this whole ehing started - he was amazed to find a few pieces of mail from Illinois (as state where he knew nobody) inside were some notes of support from shop owners he never met and checks to support his effort. He tells his story pretty much like ours was - very little support or even phone calls from the local shops. In our case (granted this was before anyone knew what was going on - we got no outside financial support what so ever.) Pay as you go.

In NY their Executive Director Ed Kizenberger is there in the courtroom every day to support his member. We got nothing from ASA. Nothing. But really what did they or anybody else know at the time?

I guess is mention it because I have to say - at least we have made some baby steps as an industry - to support those who stick their necks out.

Mike West on the stand today - Mike Anderson was Friday for 6 hours. Entered into evidence - much to the glee of the jury Friday - were notes wrtitten by Anderson about the inspection of the subject vehicle and particularly Mike West's analysis. The phrase "Mike West is a moron" was actually displayed on the overhead projector by Progressive's counsel as Mike Anderson went into detail about why exactly that was the case. LOL.

It just doesn't get any better than that.

Keep those good thoughts and prayers up.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009

"What did ASA know?"

Why would they lift a single finger today when ASA fought like hell to kill the spark that had ignited here in Illinois. Our entire industry could have been miles further today if only ASA hadn't worked so diligently to destroy ASA-IL.

History shows AASPI rose from the ashes left by ASA's attack. We should never forget history.
    "Better to die a hero, than live a coward."
    Charles Woods, father of slain SEAL Ty Woods

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009

thanks Wade. My point is, why is he having to defend himself from an insurer? He has absolutely no relation to an insurer. I may be wrong since I am not an attorney, but based on what I do know, he has no contract with Progressive and they none with him.

Anyone can sue anyone, but not without consequences. In tis case apparently Greg can't even counter sue for costs to defend himself as well as them bring a frivolous case? And in the case of an insurer there is only one way I am aware of for them to legally come after a shop and that would not be via lawsuit but filing a complaint with the local authorities which could then be followed by a suit on behalf of the insured.

I have yet to see a cogent explanation of exactly what he is being sued for and why, under what existing law and authority. But if it is over a dispute as to whether the repairs done are "visible" then why hasn't Greg counter sued? I guarantee you that is exactly what I would do if someone sued me without good and sufficient cause. Immediately.
    Roy Smalley,
    Texas

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009

That's what I said Roy. A countersuit has been initiated. Set to go. Filed after the initial Progressive suit was dismissed.

Pam you are correct - An effort by ASA National to quell the legislative efforts of ASA IL was mounted. ASA National demanded the heads of both President Mike Melfi and Executive Director Mike Lane in addition to imposing a restriction that legislative efforts pass through and meet with approval of National before any decisions are made. Many other states at that time simply told ASA "stick it" and disaffiliated.

Illinois started ASPI. And were shortly thereafter joined in a loose coalition of ASPs. Then we got sued for the use of "ASPI". All of the ASPs changed to AASPs and we began to re-formalize out Associations based on "legislative autonomy". Our firm beleif being each state has to be it's own best legal advocate and have the speed and dexterity to handle theior own legislative efforts.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Pam of course already knows all that - but I figured some others may be interested in the ASA/AASP rift.

+ Reply to Thread